npm is a Node.js’ dependency management system. It provides a
script object in a project’s
package.json configuration which can hold several CLI scripts. It is possible to run those via your command line. This way it is possible to replace your current build system. This article covers more about how you replace different tasks of a typical front-end build workflow.
Different projects I have worked on used Sass as the pre-compiler of their choice. This post shares some learnings we had while using Sass. There are a couple of great articles on how to use Sass in large scale projects — this one is more of a retrospective. I hope it helps you solving problems if you ever run into them. I wrote about some of my recent projects and the learnings I had.
We don’t need this anymore With Modernizr v2.7.0 we don’t need this work around anymore. Please update to this version if you use <main>. tl;dr: You can add the new main-element to Modernizr 2.6.2 by using HTML5 Shiv’s window.html5 option to add your own elements to the shiv. Since I use some bleeding edge stuff in HTML and CSS in actual projects for clients I ran into one particular issue a couple of times lately and I thought I share a little workaround with you. Modernizr’s current state Modernizr includes HTML5 Shiv to make HTML5 elements like header, figure and
- A Few More Words on Accessible Dialogs/Modals
- Introducing CSS Modal
- Printing The Web
- Speaking Engagements, the .net-Awards and Freelancing
- TakeOff Conference: Talking About Good Code
- The REM Fallback with Sass or LESS
- Working Draft Revision 100
- New Resource for Web Devs: The Nitty Gritty
- Conferencing and Test The Web Forward
- Writing Awesome Code – Fronteers Jam Session 2012
- Yeoman – Level-up Your Daily Workflow
- HTML5 Boilerplate – v4.0.0
- An Approach on Building an Advanced Initial Boilerplate
- Principles of writing consistent, idiomatic CSS
- SASS vs. LESS
- My Coding Style and Guidelines
- RECESS – A CSS cleaning tool build on top of LESS
- About CSS Variables
- About The CSS Hierarchies Module Level 3
- Dabblet Chrome App
- About Git’s Cherry-Picking
- Effects for the Web!
- Is Mothereffin’ jQuery Up?
- Responsive Media
- A Travel Through Time – and Back
- Lea Verou’s Animatable
- How to Build an Accordion-Menu using CSS and a bit of jQuery
- Resize Elements with CSS3
- Wo sind meine abgerundeten Ecken?
- “Where Are My Rounded Corners?” – German Translation
- CSS3: Rotate Images on Click
- Touch-Icons for Android-Devices: Y U No Working?
- Text-Shadow in Internet Explorer
- HTML5 Boilerplate Favicon PSD-Template
- Pseudo-Elements in Print-Styles for References in Links
- Add Style-Syntax in Comments with `, _ and *
- Offer Files as Download with a@download
- Mobile Design is not only Responsive
- CSS3: Auto Hyphenation for Text-Elements
- The Difference between Push and Pull
- This is what it’s all about!